In 1937, the first meeting was held to organize Escambia River Electric Cooperative, Inc. at the Oak Grove Community House. By lamplight, several prominent community leaders laid out the blueprints for the formation and operation of EREC.
After Congress passed the Rural Electrification Act of 1936, which made loans available for the establishment of rural electric cooperatives, widespread rural electrification began. The formation of cooperatives in other parts of the country stimulated the interest of these local leaders such as C.R. Walker, E.H. Lundy, J.L. Robbins, and County Agent J.G. Hudson. They continued to move forward with their plans even though they were often met with opposition and skepticism.
On March 10, 1939, Escambia River Electric Cooperative, Inc. was born when the incorporators met at the American National Bank building in Pensacola to pass the bylaws, which would establish the Cooperative and make their dream a reality. The Cooperative's first month of operation brought them 88 members. Since that time, the Co-op has grown to serve approximately 10,000 members in Escambia and Santa Rosa counties with 1,800 miles of energized line.